Happy Heart turned to a Broken Heart

2 min read

I tried my best to get pregnant due to other health concerns that would cause me to have a hysterectomy and luckily I found out at 5 weeks that I was going to be a mom all over again. It was a rough pregnancy due to bleeding up until 20 weeks. The doctor and I didn't think I would carry him to term. To our surprise, I made it to term and was incredibly happy to have my second boy. About 4 days out of delivery, I was back in the hospital for what we thought was HELLP syndrome, but turned out it was my gallbladder. So at 5 days post partum, I had surgery to remove it as well as have a tubal. I knew this child would be my last so I wanted to make it permanent. The surgery went great and I was excited to be able to recover at home with my newborn. For a while, I was having trouble breathing and with coughing but I thought it was all due to gas being in my chest from the surgery. I gave it a week before going to see my primary doctor. The swelling spread from my legs to my stomach and it was to the point that I couldn't lay down without struggling to breathe. My doctor did an X-ray and ran to me to tell me I needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible due to fluid around my lungs. So I was aggravated having to be put back in the hospital because I got pneumonia. All I wanted to do was spend my maternity leave with my baby. So after getting a sitter set up for however long it would be, I went to the hospital. It was when they started doing the EKG that I got worried. I laid there hooked up to all these wires wondering what was going on.  The nurse came in to tell me I was being admitted on the heart floor, but she never told me why. The doctor finally came in after what seemed like forever and told me that I was in congestive heart failure. At that moment, I was more scared than I've ever been. The next day was when I had my echo which showed the PPCM with an EF of 35. I spent a week in the hospital, and they took 30lbs of fluid off of me with IV lasix. I felt amazing when I left. As of today, thanks to medication, strict diet and fluid restriction, and exercise, my EF is now 50-55. I feel incredibly lucky to be where I am today. It is still a struggle trying to keep up with everything I'm supposed to, but thanks to a good support system, I am still doing good. I had never heard of this condition before until I was diagnosed. This is a very serious condition and every woman pregnant or trying to get pregnant needs to know about this condition and what to watch for.

My Details

  • Date Diagnosed: 16/11/2014
  • Child: 2
  • Initial EF: 35
  • Current EF: 50-55

Story By Amanda Edwards

Related Articles

Woke up confused.

I have a hard time finding another story quite like mine no matter how hard I look. I was 26 and pregnant with my second

Help Support my work

Money goes towards my writing, advocacy work, hosting and web development.

Support me

Subscribe to My Heart Sisters

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox