My Pregnancy

4 min read

My story begins as many regular women, my husband and I decided to try for a baby and 8 months later were thrilled with a positive pregnancy test. Around 7-9 weeks I started having heart palpitations. I called my doctors office and the ruled them as normal because of the extra blood running through your body while pregnant.

Around 25 weeks I began to swell. A lot of pregnant women do this, I thought it was normal, as did my doctor. At 30 weeks my face was so swollen I couldn't close my lips, my feet were swelling, my arms, my fingers, even my stomach was swollen. I had a High blood pressure reading and an excessive amount of protein in my urine so my doctor sent me immediately to the hospital, thinking I had preeclampsia. They started a 24 hour urine and began  prepping me to send me to a bigger hospital (university of Kentucky) for delivery.

My 24 hour urine came back as not preeclampsia, but extremely close. My doctor sent me home on strict bed rest. I was told to limit my showers and only get up to use the bathroom. My blood pressure was still very high (170's-180's/90's). They began to monitor me closely with weekly ultrasounds, fetal NST's, and weekly 24 hour urine tests.

My doctor couldn't rule that I had preeclampsia but was so close she knew something was up, so right at 37 weeks I was induced.

I was swelling even more, my legs were swollen way up to my thighs.

My induction lasted about 4 days. My doctor didn't want to push my body too hard and raise my blood pressure even more. After pitocin, folly bulb catheters, and other failed methods, my doctor decided on a c Section. I gave birth to an amazing 8 pound baby girl with so much hair!

After my c section, my blood pressure dropped back to a normal range for the duration of my hospital stay. Things were really looking up!

After they sent me home, I was so ill it was scary. I completely lost my appetite. I wanted to eat, but I just couldn't. It didn't make sense. Simple tasks such as changing a diaper completely exhausted me. I would have to take a break to catch my breath. When I laid down to sleep, I felt as if I was drowning. I would have to sleep propped up on pillows in order to breathe. The real kicker came when I went to check my mail. My mail box isn't far at all from my front door, I had to take so many breaks just to get there and back. When I finally got back, my chest hurt so bad I really did think it was possible I was having a heart attack.

I blew off all my symptoms as being in pain from my c section, and the fact that I was on bed rest for so long and was simply weak.

Finally, 6 days after giving birth (2 after coming home from the hospital), I called my mom to take me to the emergency room. She even mentioned the possibility that I could be having panic attacks when I get short of breath, and possibly the post partum depression was why I couldn't eat. It was a possibility, but I honestly had no idea what was wrong.

Shortly after arriving at the hospital, I was taken back. My blood pressure was 210/120, I was so dehydrated that getting an IV was almost

Impossible. They sent me for chest X-rays, urine samples, blood work, an echo cardio gram, and a CT scan.

Then the doctor came back and explained that there was fluid all in my lungs and around my heart, which caused my heart to fail.

I didn't understand and I didn't know much about what was going on. All I knew was they told me I would have to stay. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving my 6 day old daughter.

They started me on a medium dose of lasiks. They wanted to give me a higher dose but my potassium was dangerously low and I would lose more potassium through my urine so they didn't want that to happen. I was also but on a beta blocker, ace inhibitor, potassium pills, iron pills (my iron was also very low), and a few more medicines that I couldn't remember if I wanted to.

After being sent home from the hospital, I was still very sick. I begged and begged to be sent home to be with my daughter. Truthfully I should have stayed, but they sent me home with the same medicines and I had several appointments in the next few days and weeks for them to keep a close eye on me. I would vomit constantly. Probably 20 times in a 24 hour period. I couldn't keep anything down, even tiny sips of water would come right back up. I would vomit up black stuff, mucus, blood, and stomach acid. Since I couldn't eat I was really confused as so why I was vomiting constantly. I lost over 50 pounds in 2 weeks.

Slowly my health began to get better. The medicines were (and still are) tweaked to suit my blood pressure, heart rate, and excess fluid around my heart. I am not 100%, but I definitely am a lot better than I was.  After getting 4 opinions of doctors (a mix of obgyn's and cardiologist), I decided to get my tubes tied to ensure no further pregnancies. Since my heart isn't back to 100%, another pregnancy would more than likely kill me or put me in the position that I could not care for my children. It's a very hard pill to swallow but I try to count my blessings daily. I have a beautiful daughter and she was and still is healthy. I am alive to watch her grow up.

My Details

  • Date Diagnosed: 23/11/2012
  • Child: 1
  • Initial EF: 40
  • Current EF: 55

Story By JeffandBrittany Malone

Related Articles

Woke up confused.

I have a hard time finding another story quite like mine no matter how hard I look. I was 26 and pregnant with my second

Help Support my work

Money goes towards my writing, advocacy work, hosting and web development.

Support me

Subscribe to My Heart Sisters

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox