Princess Ella Bella

2 min read

It all starts six years ago when I got married. After our honeymoon I went to the ER for possible heart failure. They found "nothing" wrong. Soon we found out I was pregnant. The pregnancy was hard the whole way through. At 20 weeks I knew something wasn't right, but my doctor just said it was "normal" I only gained 5lbs the first 20 weeks. After that I blew up like a balloon! I gained a total of 40lbs of water weight. At 32 1/2 I was admitted because my blood pressure was through the roof. I was in the hospital for three weeks and told I was fine to go home. I prayed the whole time. I didn't think I was going to make it. All the other doctors that saw me kept telling me that they would deliver me, but mine just didn't think I was that bad off or I was just complaining too much. I felt like a truck was on my chest and I would wake up in a panic feeling my heart beat out of my chest. After being home for a week I was sent back to the hospital to be induced. That was on a Thursday night and I had Ella via c-section on Saturday at 3:01am. I kept telling the tech I couldn't breathe. They put my oxgyen up and said that I was fine. After going into the recovery room I needed even more oxygen again. After going to bed that morning I woke with a cough, but couldn't get anything up. All things that I know now as congestive heart failure. I was good for the whole day until 6pm. I just got off the phone with my husband and told him to stay home since he just got off work and was with me all night long. I suddenly couldn't breathe again. I called the nurse and she just up my oxygen again. Soon the alarms were beeping and my oxygen level was going lower and lower. I saw my baby in the corner praying I could stay here on earth and be her mama. They started nebulizing me thinking that would help. I could feel myself drowning. I started to pull out my IV I knew that thing was killing me. Finally they figured out my heart was in trouble and rushed me to the heart hospital which was connected to the hospital I delivered at. They called my husband and told him to get there soon they weren't sure if I would make it. I stayed there over night when I got my dx my ef was 25% when leaving the hospital it was 35%. I was advised not to nurse my baby, but I refused not knowing how long I would have with her. I know now that I did recover more slowly because of my choice. I wouldn't change it for the world though. I was able to nurse her for 6 months before I had to get on the other meds. After I stopped breast feeding I was blessed to be able to find jobs where I could take her with. God had provided! She is the most wonderful little girl. I am so thankful I am her mama. My little prayer warrior prays every nigtht that God heals me so I can have a little bother for her and twin sisters. I pray right along with her! She has taught me so much. She gives me the courage to keep trying!

My Details

  • Date Diagnosed: 11/03/2007
  • Child: 1
  • Initial EF: 25%
  • Current EF: 50-55%

Story By Kayta Velasquez

Related Articles

Woke up confused.

I have a hard time finding another story quite like mine no matter how hard I look. I was 26 and pregnant with my second

Help Support my work

Money goes towards my writing, advocacy work, hosting and web development.

Support me

Subscribe to My Heart Sisters

Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox